An important goal of the ODK community is to enable users to select suitable components from an ecosystem of complementary tools. A thriving ecosystem means that organizations can use the tools that best suit their needs without worrying about vendor lock-in.
The ODK tools include Collect, Aggregate, XLSForm, Build, Briefcase, and Central. The shared components that enable ODK core tools to be compatible with a broad ecosystem are:
- ODK XForms, a low-level form specification based on XForms
- XLSForm, a high-level Excel-based form specification
- OpenRosa APIs, APIs for how ODK clients talk to ODK servers
- ODK JavaRosa, a Java library that processes ODK XForms
- pyxform, a Python library that converts XLSForms into ODK XForms
The ecosystem members who openly collaborate to grow this ecosystem are: